Saturday, May 19, 2012

Less is So Much More

Well, I've still been riding, fighting, riding. I've just totally let myself tune in to what could be Bijou's issue. She's always liked to toss her head around, but lately its gotten worse. I took off her bridle, and rode in just a halter. Voila problem solved. She was SO CRAZY RESPONSIVE in just a rope halter it's amazing. We only got into one mini tiff when she wanted to follow Wyatt one way and I wanted to go the other. That was the only time I had to pull at all. She even will collect and go round (easier than with a bit) in it. I just lay my inside leg on her and give a squeeze with my inside rein (leadrope!) and she's trotting around in a willing low level frame! We even cantered with other horses cantering which has never been a problem in the past, but the dogs were running around crazy, and there was a scary plastic chair right near the arena, but we cantered and came back to a lovely trot with just a change of seat and a light contact. She spooked once, but I think because she didn't catch herself in the mouth when she did it because there was nothing to catch herself on, it was much less severe than normal, almost a normal horse spook :)

I don't want to jinx anything, but there might be big bittersweet news soon. That's all I'll say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment