Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines day

So I really have nothing to update about the Valentines day yet, I've yet to get out to the barn so hopefully the pony's head hasn't fallen off or exploded or gotten yet another hole in it.

*Edit* the hole in the ponys head is almost almost gone! It's no longer oozing any type of fluid and the hairs grown back!

I had an interesting idea last night. I hope you all remember my amazing good deals from my tack shop goes out of business sale, including specifically my fluffy merino sheepskin pad! I've yet to find a baby pad to fit underneath it so it doesn't ruin it's spiffy whiteness. I was pondering this dilemma as the beginning of March gets nearer and in my ever resourcefull do-it-yourself attitude I started wondering if I could make my own. I have a sewing machine, and know how to use it, I could find the cloth and batting to make it work, but I always have this vision of baby pads binding awkwardly under the saddle.

This plus one other tid-bit got me thinking. When I was shopping for my fluffy sheepskin pad there was another version (much more expensive so I didn't get it) that had elastic inserts along the spine to allow for stretching as the horse moved. I thought that this was very interesting. It's the first time I've ever seen a pad with elastic in it, but it made total sense.

I knit, I've made mittens and beanies, and random video game characters out of yarn. Knitting provides a very stretchy and possibly thick cushy product that seems like it would make a pretty neat baby pad. And it's got the added do-it-yourself bonus!

I just don't know if it would work. I'd appreciate any input on your ideas of pads and comments on stretchiness.

Goals: Build a time machine to get to March faster. Lunge whenever possible, maybe introduce side reins if we chill out. Desensitize face and ears after last weeks stitch removal.

No comments:

Post a Comment